Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign on Ebay

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-05-16, 3:31pm

Default NS Transparent Violet

Anyone else getting alot of bubbles with this color? I am simply striping it onto 5/8" pyrex rod, heating it in , and using it for solid sculpture. I am getting lots of bubbles that dont appear to be in the original rod. I am careful not to overheat and boil as well so I am not sure where they are being created. I love the color and also would be open to suggestions for alternatives.
Old 2011-05-16, 3:45pm
Pyromaniac

NS lavender and pink do the same thing; I think it is just the nature of these particular colors to look fizzy no matter how you treat them.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-05-16, 3:59pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginkgoglass View Post
NS lavender and pink do the same thing; I think it is just the nature of these particular colors to look fizzy no matter how you treat them.
Any alternatives that you know of that are less fizzy?
Old 2011-05-16, 4:21pm
Pyromaniac

You could try the colorsilicate purple amethyst but I think it only comes in large diameter rod. You could use that straight and not coat a clear rod. It is Asian color and I don't think it bubbles at all but I have only used the cobalt tubing and the emerald green rod.

Looks like it is out of stock at MGA but you could probably find it somewhere else.

http://www.mountainglassarts.com/ROD...g-1-6-lbs-each

Old 2011-05-16, 4:28pm

Thanks. That looks kinda nice. I will do a search for it elsewhere.
Old 2011-05-17, 12:10am
Fire and Fluidity

I use those colors precisely because they have seeds. A line of bubbles in a transparent piece can be a nice design element.

"It all depends on how you look at things" said the Churkendoose.

Old 2011-05-17, 5:52am
Pyromaniac

I like the effect too. They also make some really pretty color changes layered over the amber purples for example.

Old 2011-05-17, 7:50am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrsmith View Post
I use those colors precisely because they have seeds. A line of bubbles in a transparent piece can be a nice design element.
Maybe so. In a transparent colored sculptural element I would like to have more control over it. The bubbles become a problem for me when they compete with the details of the design. I could see how it could be nice in certain applications, though.

Last edited by LarryC; 2011-05-17 at 8:49am.