Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-02-20, 3:35pm
Unmedicated since '62

Default colour advice

i got to play with boro on the weekend and though i really dont have the room (and far too much soft glass) to get really into it, i really enjoyed making implosion pendants

so, just so i can play a bit, what would be the best glass to get to make implosions? i was using reactive glass and love the effect but i dont know what brand or colours it was

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-02-20, 4:03pm
boro color bender

If you can post a picture, maybe we can tell you or at least get you close.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2011-02-20, 4:07pm
Unmedicated since '62

i had to leave them there cos they were still in the kiln

i dont really care about the colours - i just want some suggestions on what to get to experiment with

would these be a good starting point?

http://www.affordableinspiration.com...nging-set.html

Old 2011-02-20, 4:34pm
Alaska Boro

If you are looking for silver striking colors try North Star glass. Blue Moon, Blue Caramel, Butterscotch, Caramel and a host of others. Take a look at their site and view the users manual to see what will work for your application.
Old 2011-02-20, 4:41pm
Unmedicated since '62

i'll go have a look - ta

Old 2011-02-20, 4:50pm

Deb ... each of the major glass vendors sells a set of 5" rod samplers. They are great for pulling stringers to make implosions and give you lots of color to play with to experiment.

I bought Momka's sampler when I started out and have been slowly working my way through!!

Also, Ginko Glass's thread on Boro color recipes has a section just on good implosion colors!!

Custom Boro Blends, Momka frit and Czech Glass available at
Old 2011-02-20, 9:06pm

hi Deb,

I thought you are going to resist!

Anyhow, since I was standing right behind you, I pretty much know what you were using. The light green transparent stringer is probably English Ivy/Seaweed. Dark blue one may be Blue Moon. There is also a rod of Irid next to you.

I've got all those colours if you want some to play with.

Cheers
Nancy

Old 2011-02-20, 11:01pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by nklt0 View Post
hi Deb,

I thought you are going to resist!

Anyhow, since I was standing right behind you, I pretty much know what you were using. The light green transparent stringer is probably English Ivy/Seaweed. Dark blue one may be Blue Moon. There is also a rod of Irid next to you.

I've got all those colours if you want some to play with.

Cheers
Nancy
resistence is futile

i got really sucked into making implosions - i know i can do that with soft glass but the forgiveness of boro when it comes to heat is....nice

ETA - thanks for the offer but i've already sucked up some of my gift vouchers with Kerry by buying a sample pack

Last edited by PerfectDeb; 2011-02-20 at 11:11pm.
Old 2011-02-21, 7:25am
The Battle of Boro Boro

The stringer set on the link is from Glass Alchemy...and more info can be found below. Also..looks like you can get them directly from them for about $10 cheaper!

http://glassalchemy.com/cart/revolut...-changing.html

Old 2011-02-21, 3:39pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyCreekGlass View Post
The stringer set on the link is from Glass Alchemy...and more info can be found below. Also..looks like you can get them directly from them for about $10 cheaper!

http://glassalchemy.com/cart/revolut...-changing.html
yeah but then i'd have to pay the freight to here - it would still end up cheaper for me to get it from Kerry

Old 2011-02-22, 10:52pm
Unmedicated since '62

ok i'm set, i have a fistfull of northstar shorts, a big bundle of clear, a bundle of black and some no. 3 shades

and i said i'd never use different coe's....

Old 2011-02-23, 9:17am

Have fun deb. I put away the boro for awhile to work with some soft glass, I wanted to try some implosion in the glass. Boy did they work up fast. Good results though. If I had to choose between soft or boro I don't think I would be able to.

Old 2011-02-23, 1:30pm

Default Love the Blue Carmel

My favorite..... Great reaction.
Old 2011-02-23, 4:10pm
Unmedicated since '62

i didnt realise how many of the northstar colours are striking, i got the bundle and thought "well thats pretty boring" till i started reading the notes - oh lord this could become addictive...

Old 2011-02-23, 5:14pm

Ive been making (trying to ) Boro implosions all winter. I tried a few beads this month and realized how hard it is and im wanting to try some soft glass and all the soft glass colors!. good luck!
Old 2011-02-24, 11:14pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapped In Glass View Post
Ive been making (trying to ) Boro implosions all winter. I tried a few beads this month and realized how hard it is and im wanting to try some soft glass and all the soft glass colors!. good luck!
really!!? i actually found implosions easier to do in boro because you didnt have to be so careful with heat control - i still found myself unconciously frantically waving my half made implosion in and out of the flame while i was searching for a suitable punty - i thought my first implosions were pretty cool and not really hard

try this link https://www.theflowmagazine.com/inde...rble&Itemid=65

Old 2011-02-24, 11:39pm

I hope you are having some boro fun luv!!!!!

I could totally tell by the look on your face that you were in serious danger of becoming "boro-lated" or "boro-ised" or just plain boro-addicted.... he he he

Nat

Old 2011-02-25, 10:16pm
Unmedicated since '62

yep, now have a marble mold - armed and ready!!