Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-01-09, 10:54am

Default Help identifying a lampworking technique

Hi... I'm trying to figure out what technique is used to make beads like this one, and where can I find a tutorial on how to do it? (preferably free, but paid ones are OK too if you really like them )

I have been trying to figure it out but I just don't know This is a hollow bead, or so it said on the website I nabbed the picture from... but I am looking to do donut-style beads with this technique. Not sure if that matters.
Old 2012-01-09, 11:06am

Those are just layers of dots. I counted about 15 layers. It's been many years since I've done them, but they can be fun to watch the pattern evolve.

This is a set I did (in another lifetime), without the clear layering between layers. You can see how this is a very versatile style.

-Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Donna Felkner -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
Old 2012-01-09, 11:06am
SCIENCE Teacher!

Easy peasy. You start at one side of the bead and put down your white dots. Melt them in. Add transparent color over top, melt in. Next row of white dots slightly overlapping first row, then melt them in. Add your trans parent color, melt it in. And so on.

Old 2012-01-09, 11:07am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Ha! we all posted at the same time...

It's called 'Dragon Scale' or 'Fish Scale' and though I have never done it it looks to be dots on top of dots around the bead then an overlapping series of dot on dots and so on. I'm sure there are many aspects of doing this than I mentioned but that is the basics.
Old 2012-01-09, 11:15am

Wow, thanks everyone I'm gonna go try it out... we'll see what happens!
Old 2012-01-09, 11:35am
Lover of all things color

It's also called the "petal" bead. There is a tutorial on it in the "tutorials for sale" section.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=196188

Not mine just wanted to pass it on....

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2012-01-09, 11:39am

I really don't think this is the same at the petal beads. Check out this mini tutorial. I found the link on this site when I did a search for fish scale.

http://www.cauldroncreations.com/fishscale.html

Darrell
Old 2012-01-09, 12:04pm
da General

This is a free tutorial by Aimee/Polychrome Beads that's very similar. Just omit the raking part.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=52942

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-01-09, 3:45pm

In the free tutorial section, if you search "Implosion Petal Beads" you can get a nice free tut from J2Canoe. I haven't tried it but it looks good. There is also a paid tutorial available by Magma Beads. I have looked at at this but it was too pricey for my limited skills.
Old 2012-01-09, 4:56pm

Here's an old one - Fish scale
http://www.cauldroncreations.com/fishscale.html

Old 2012-01-09, 6:12pm

I seem to think this is in the 2d Cindy Jenkins book with photos. Just loaned it to someone, so I can't check! Jeri

New website and Puffy Mandrels back in stock!
Old 2012-01-09, 6:36pm

I don't think this is the same as the implosion one.

Old 2012-01-10, 3:48am
what's a senior moment ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeri View Post
I seem to think this is in the 2d Cindy Jenkins book with photos. Just loaned it to someone, so I can't check! Jeri
Yep, Jeri, it is. It's on page 78. I had forgotten how many great tutorials are in that book !

Blog is now on my website
Old 2012-01-10, 5:55am

I remember when I tried it that it helped to start with smaller dots than I anticipated. Glad you found it, jeri

New website and Puffy Mandrels back in stock!
Old 2012-01-10, 6:20am
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgbeads View Post
Those are just layers of dots. I counted about 15 layers. It's been many years since I've done them, but they can be fun to watch the pattern evolve.

This is a set I did (in another lifetime), without the clear layering between layers. You can see how this is a very versatile style.

-Donna
I love these!